We received this email from Eye Design Alliance, who calls themselves a ‘modifiable eyewear’ company for eye care professionals. They offer ECP’s customizable one-of-a-kind unique eyewear in Buffalo Horn, Goat Horn, and Block Acetate, that you can offer to your patients. All which got me to thinking about Private Label eyewear. Should you or shouldn’t you consider do private label?
For this purpose, I am defining private label, as optical products you buy directly from either a distributor or a manufacturer and put your ‘name’ or your own label on it. It is similar to putting your name on eyeglass cases or accessories.
When you think private label, think Kirkland (CostCo) Do you really think that Costco makes all that private label themselves? No.. they negotiate with vendors and come up with a price and minimum and voila,
- Preventable measure against showrooming or online shopping.
- Create Brand Awareness for your office
- It’s your stock and you own it. No returns, no exchanges
- You have to warranty the frame and lenses.
- Minimum orders
- No brand support with vendors
- Larger inventory
- Will insurance cover it?
- Packaging? Cases, clothes etc.
What to consider:
- Know your market and demographics.
- What are you trying to achieve? Branding, product control, show-rooming?
- What are your goals for this product category?
- Who is going to make the product
- Look at your competition, how do you compare with them?
Who has Private label?
You can google private label eyewear and many manufacturers will come up whether they are distributors or you want to go direct to the manufacturer, usually in Asia. You can also ask your current suppliers if they have a private label program. Some will, of course there are minimums. The advantage of going direct to a current supplier, is they can support breakage.
Lenses The following companies offer either private label or in-house lense fabrication.
- Fast Grind (Super Systems) all in one surfacing equipment. You can name the lenses anything you want!
- VisionWest: offer private label Hoya Lenses
- QSpex– In house lens fabricating system. Again you can name the lenses anything you want.
- Chemistrie/ Eyenavision – In house clip on fabrication
- Best Image Optical- has a private label program
- Frieze Frames; (Made in the USA) The independent can order private label
- Sho Eyeworks
- Zyloware Eyewear– has a private label program with the Etched and Invincilites collections.
- Another ‘Private Label Option’ is 3D printed Eyewear
No matter what you should do ‘Private label eyewear accessories.
- Modern Optical– Cases and microfiber cleaning clothes,
- Stormin Normans Cases and microfiber cleaning clothes, lens cleaners
- Rons Optical– Cases and Microfiber clothes, lens cleaners
- Hilco – Cases and Cleaning clothes, lens cleaners
- Nanofilm – clothes and lens cleaners,