It is that time of year again, that sales of halloween/theatrical, decorative contact lenses soar. Despite the fact that people have been blinded by them.. most believe that it will never happen to me.
The AAO said it “would like to alert consumers to the hazards of buying any decorative lenses, including circle lenses, without a prescription. Over-the-counter sales of nonprescription cosmetic lenses has been banned by law in the United States since 2005, but they are available online. All contact lenses are classified as medical devices and can only be distributed through licensed eye care professionals.
Every eyecare professional has a duty to warn and a duty to report illegal sales of contact lenses. Who do you contact?
- FDA phone #1-866-300-4374 or 301-796-8240
- Local law enforcement.
While we have done several posts on illegal contact lenses and the dangers associated and another article that 70% of Contact Lens Cases are contaminated, we wanted to get you some resources that you can post on Facebook to your patients.
- FDA article Decorative Contact Lenses: Is Your Vision Worth It?
- Four Frightening Ways Non-Prescription Costume Contact Lenses Can Ruin Your Vision:
- Eye Injury Prevention Month
- AOA Industry Watchdog Tracking Sales
Georgia had several articles
- Georgia Optometrist Report on Dangers of Illegal Contact Lenses. – News Report
- Two Southern States Be on The Lookout for Illegal Contact Lenses
Mississippi Optometric Association
- Board of Opticians Receives about 20 reports on Illegal Contact Lenses per year
Attorney General DeWine, Prevent Blindness, Optical Dispenser Board Warn about the dangers of Halloween Contact Lenses
- Feds Warn against decorative Contact Lenses (Video)
- Why You Need to Be Careful When you Buy Contact Lenses by Allure
- Illegal Contact lenses in Singapore
- The Dramatic Realities of Illegal and Unsafe Contact Lenses – talks about the use of theatrical contact lens in movies
- Decorative Contact Lenses What Teens and Parents Need to Know
- Why Homeland Security Cares About Spooky Halloween Contact Lenses . Interesting article. Who would have thought.!
How Eye Doctors Handle Halloween Contact Lense I was very disappointed in these results. This is a opportunity to get found on Google. When you plug in optometrist, Halloween contact lens only 179,000 results. These are what came up on page 1-3 of Google. Not much is said about how really dangerous it is.
- Bainbridge & Silverdale Eye Physicians
- Are Halloween Contact Lenses Safe : Uptown Vision
- Decorative Contact Lenses for Halloween : Adlington Eye Center
- Keep Your Eyes Halloween SafeL Decorative Contacts Can Damage Your Eyes (Foxchase Family Care)
- Matossian Eye
- Retina Associates Guide To Safe Halloween Contact Lenses
- Special Effects/Theatrical Contact Lenses : Ressler Optometry
Eye Doctors Who Sell Theatrical Contact Lenses
- Colored Contact Lenses Southwest Eyecare (Ohio) devotes a small page to this topic
- Custom Colored Contact Lenses : Ivor Myerson
- America’s Best Sells Theatrical Contact Lens – has a large page devoted to theatrical contact lenses.
- Vision Health Institute has a small page with a picture devoted to selling. But nothing about the dangers
Here is what I think- Theatrical Contact Lens sales are growing, why let your patients buy off the internet, gas stations and swap meets and potentially harming their eyes. Taking the bull by the horn, set up a ‘Store Within A Store Retail‘ with a Theatrical Contact Lens display and include in the display a ‘Duty To Warn’ and information about illegal contact lenses and Lady Gaga’s Anime Contact lens. The information should be in other written material in your office and website.
For references- Check out the Dangerous Contact Lenses