If you live in California, we are on water rationing still and our water bill has been going up. (9% ). Even if you are renting, those water hikes will show up in your next rent increase. Just because you are not footing the water bill at the office is no reason why to run the tap. Did you know the average household of 4 can save 40 gallons of water without any sacrificing anything? Think how much an average office of 4 can save just by paying attention to the water bill.
- It has been said that water and the lack of is one of the biggest global crisis.
- Almost a billion people on the planet don’t have access to clean drinking water. Unsafe water and a lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of all disease and kill more people than all forms of violence, including war
- 90% of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are to children under five years old. Many of these diseases are preventable. The UN predicts that one tenth of the global disease burden can be prevented simply by improving water supply and sanitation.
- In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year just walking for water. Women and children usually bear the burden of water collection, walking miles to the nearest source, which is unprotected and likely to make them sick.
- In Africa alone, the overall economic loss due to lack of safe water and sanitation is $28 billion, or about 5% of GDP. In areas where gathering water is impossible, small-scale private water distributors charge full market prices, forcing the poorest households to spend up to 11% of their income on life’s most basic need. Even this water is most likely contaminated if it has been collected from unprotected rivers or ponds.
10 Ways to Save Blue and Green
1. The California Energy Commission states that 75% of the water used is coming from the bathroom, you can save up to Save 27,412 Gallons of Water This Year, if you just turn off the tap at home, while brushing teeth morning and evening.
2. Post a hotline in bathrooms and kitchens to report leaks or water waste to facility managers or maintenance personnel. Have maintenance personnel regularly check your facilities for leaks, drips and other water waste.
- Fixing a leaky faucet can save up to 3,000 gallons of water/year and and fixing a running toilet can save up to 200 gallons a day (EPA)
3. Create a suggestion and incentives system at your organization to recognize water-saving ideas.
4. Include a water-saving tip in your employee /patient newsletter featuring how much water can be saved with each action. Find 100+ tips at wateruseitwisely.com.
5. Implement a water management plan and then educated employees on good habits
- Publish your organization’s monthly water use to show progress toward water-saving goals.
- Appoint a water conservation champion.
6. Invite your water utility conservation staff to your organization for Earth Day and other environmental events to help promote water savings.
7. Have a water audit done for your facility to find out the recommended water use for your operations, then make sure someone monitors your utility bills to gauge your monthly consumption.
8. If you use processed water in your business or facility, look into water recycling and reuse.
#9 Contact your water utility to see if rebates are available for purchasing water-efficient fixtures, equipment or for facility audits.
- Consider and compare water use when purchasing things like ice makers, dishwashers, reverse osmosis units, coolers and cleaning equipment.
10. Look for WaterSense®-labeled fixtures the next time you purchase or replace toilets, showerheads and faucets for greater efficiency and performance.
- On average, WaterSense labeled product use 20% more efficient than similar products that are not. To achieve a WaterSense label, a manufacturer must get their product certified against a specification from WaterSense
- Lab Equipment From A.I.T Industries, Briot and Fast Grind International all have water saving lab equipment and can save up to 25% less water.
- Green and Save-10 Tips For Reducing Eyecare Energy Use
- Green And Save- Free ECO Cup from Modo
- Eco-Eyes with Zuvo Water Purator
- Green And Save- Eyecare Remodeling-Healthcare Trends
- Water Cuts for Businesses in California?