We are really big on preventive medicine and promoting eye health. In an earlier article we spoke about prescribing a proper eye health regime. One thing you can add to your eye health talk is walking. Walking is A FREE daily exercise that is not only good for eye health but whole body health as well. A fun way to introduce Walking into your Eye Health Discussion is to ask you patient -customer, if they are familiar with Walk Score ? Walk Score is a great site that give you the walkability of your address with a map that locates nearby stores, restaurants. Walk Score measures how easy it is to live a car-lite neighborhood. (Not only is Walking good for health, is saves money and the environment.)
- Web MD -A new study suggests that regular exercise can reduce the risk of age-related (AMD) by up to 70%.
- Walking reduces eye pressure that could lead to Glaucoma.Dr. Michael Passo of Oregon Health Sciences University has found that starting a walking program lowered the intraocular pressure of 40 sedentary individuals, which decreased their risk of glaucoma. He has found that exercise also lowers the pressure for those with glaucoma.
- Walkers have less incidence of cancer, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and other killer diseases. They live longer and get mental health and spiritual benefits.
- Research shows adults who are physically active in their 50s and early 60s are about 35 percent less likely to die in the next eight years than those who are sedentary. For those who have a high heart risk because of diabetes, high blood pressure or smoking, the reduction is 45 percent.
Here is even better news- by discussing and educating your patient and customer about walking and eye health you open up the doors to a discussion on the benefits of Sunglasses and Lenses with Eye Health! Who can walk or run without sunglasses? Educating your patients and customers gives them a choice in whether or not they want to purchase a preventive medicine devices (sunglasses, visors, hats and any other accessories you may offer.
- Study Sphere- many articles on Walking
- The Senior Walking Fitness Blog
- Discover Walking
- Vision Impaired Can Enjoy Walking and Reading
- A Walk a Day Keeps the Eye Doctor Away