National Bike Month is in May with Ride your bike to work is May 19, 2017. This is a fun, healthy and engaging customer and employee month for eyecare professionals.
- 40% of all trips in the U.S. are less than two miles
- 62% Growth of bicyclers commuters from 2002-2013
- Many cities participate in bike to work day with events, energizing stations around their cities
- American Medical Association has endorsed Bike to Work Day as part of its push to encourage active transportation.
- According to the San Francisco MTA, between 2014 and 2015 in San Francisco alone, bike commuting increased by 8.5 percent
- The League of American Bicyclists organized the first Bike to Work Day in 1956.
What eyecare professionals can do:
- Connect with Bike League for local events
- Promote Safety Sunglasses for bicycling.
- Visit bike shops around your neighbor and put up flyers.
- Offer your office as an energizing station.
- Merchandise Bicycles and Sunglasses.
- Have employee participation with them riding their bikes to work everyday.
- Post on Facebook and have customers selfing themselves biking to work.
- Raffle off biking glasses every week to those who biked everyday.
The benefits of biking to work are numerous:
- Cheaper- cost less money in gas.
- Better air quality= healthier lungs.
- Reduces our dependence on Oil (Less wars?)
- Can be time efficient. .no more road rage, stop and go and looking for parking.
- Low impact exercise with good cardio.
- Good for strength and stamina.
- Decreases stress
- Helps to control weight
- Cycling improves balance and coordination which might lead to less falling.
May is the perfect month to start a customer and employee bike program, right before swimsuit season, the weather is generally good and there are little if no excuses.
Bike Away and have a fun and healthy month.