Slainte! (Cheers in Gaelic) Happy St. Patricks Day, a day in which we will consume green beer, soda bread, corn beef and cabbage and wear green lest we get pinched.
Whilst you are out celebrating impress your friends with some St. Patricks Day Trivia.
- St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. St. Patrick was born in Wales in Britain.
- Rumor has it (again) he was taken by pirates from his family’s estate in Wales and held as a captive slave in Ireland for six years. When he escaped (Freed) he came back home and then returned to Ireland as a priest.
- St. Patricks real name is Maewyn Succat. Don’t ask me how to pronoucne it.
- Rumor has it that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland.. which would be impossible because there were not snakes in Ireland. (Metaphor)
- The first St. Patricks Day parade was held in Boston.. not Ireland. But the largest St. Patricks Day Parade is in New York.
- The first New York Parade occurred in in 1762 when British soldiers from Ireland marched through the streets of New York City to honor St. Patrick.
- St. Patricks Day did not become an official holiday in Ireland until 1903. The first parade in Ireland was 1931.
- St. Patricks Day commemorates the day St. Patrick died. St. Patrick died on March 17, 461 AD.
- Erin go Bragh translates to “Ireland forever.”
- 19 of the United States presidents say they have an Irish heritage. The First president to attend a St. Patricks Day Parade was Harry Truman.
- The first color associated with St. Patricks Day was blue.
- Dying the river green in Chicago started in 1962