Mary Meeker is a venture capitalist and former Morgan Stanley securities analyst. She is a partner in the Silicon Valley venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers who have been among some of the early investors in some companies you might have heard of, such as Amazon, Apple, America Online, Shazam, Compaq, Electronic Arts, Netscape, Intuit, Sun Microsystems, Tandem, Macromedia, Segway and Google. When Mary speaks, the world sits up to listen.
Mary and KPCB, gave their 2014 Internet Trends Report on May 28th and we were able to boil down the 164 slide report into a handful of points that should be of concern to Eye Care Practices for 2014 and beyond.
- Smartphone subscribers are growing at a 20% annual growth.
- There are over 188 million Smartphones in the US alone.
- Worldwide, over 1 billion Smartphones will be sold in 2014.
- Tablet units increased 52% in 2013 to over 80 million
- Mobile traffic has grown over 80% from 2012 to 2013.
- Mobile traffic now accounts for 25% of ALL web usage
- Internet advertising rose 16% in 2013
- Mobile internet advertising rose almost 50% in 2013
- People spend 20% of their media time on their mobile devices
- Facebook leads social traffic referrals with 21%
- Photo sharing is up 50% over 2013 in the first 6 months of this year
- 84% of mobile owners use their devices while watching TV
- Second screens are dramatically reducing TV commercial effectiveness
So what does all this mean? To put it simply, you need to be found online and your web presence needs to be mobile friendly. If you still have flash animation in your website, no matter how cool it looks, you are missing out on every person who comes to look at your website on their iPhone…………………………………………….and their Samsung Galaxy and every other modern Google Android device.
Not updating your website and hoping everyone chooses to look at your business on their desktop computers is like hoping only patients with myopia shop at your practice and that those with presbyopia sit far enough away from their computers to somehow compensate. Are you truly willing to throw away that many potential customers and patients over not wanting to spend the money to update your web presence?
Don’t worry; progressive lenses are just a trend too….
If you would like to look at the entire presentation… http://www.kpcb.com/internet-trends